By Ashton Dixey
There are a lot of beautiful celebrity couples out there, but there is one in particular that we’ve all come to admire and treasure: Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez. Society has perhaps learned more from observing their dating story than we could from reading a relationship book! Although they’re currently on a break right now, that doesn’t mean that we can’t learn from this super cute couple.
Read on to learn more about the five things that celebrity couple Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez taught us about relationships:
1. First loves are the hardest to get over: Justin Bieber was only 16 and Selena Gomez was 18 when they both started dating each other. Fresh faced and in love, these two went everywhere together and were spotted packing on the PDA in full swing. Fast forward eight years later (past all of the drama) and these two are still in touch trying to make things work. It seemed like Bieber never fully recovered once Gomez and him broke-up. Gomez even wrote a song about it called “The Heart Wants What It Wants.” Be careful who you fall in love with for the first time because that first break-up is the toughest to recover from.
2. Learn to be okay alone: It seemed as if these two kind-of lost their balance when they had their celebrity break-up. One ended up in rehab and the other was caught peeing in random wash buckets in California. Be sure you are okay with who you are as a person inside so you can move on without racking up 20 tattoos on your neck to try and burn away the pain. One month shortly after the break-up, Justin ended up driving drunk without a license, running from the cops, and even egging his neighbor’s house. When you go through a break-up, don’t lose touch with yourself. Now is the perfect time to rediscover the greatness within you. Stay in touch with friends and family that truly support you so you can talk through your emotions instead of acting impulsively.
Related Link: Celebrity Break-Ups: Find Out Why Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Are Taking a Break
3. Keep a cool head after a break-up: Sometimes it feels really good to go on social media and unfollow your ex-boyfriend or girlfriend. Or, it might be fun to go out with a random person for the night and post pictures of yourself and them kissing. Although this may relieve the pain for a bit, it is not the best idea. Bieber put fuel on the Jelena rumor fires when he unfollowed Gomez and started posting steamy pictures of himself and other girls on Instagram. There was somewhat of an Instagram war occurring between the two. Try your best to keep a cool head after you break-up and don’t do anything you’ll regret. If you do end up back together at some point, you don’t want to do anything that might spoil the relationship for the future. Collect yourself, you got this!
4. Rebounds don’t work: If you’re trying to get over an ex, it can be tempting to find someone that’s available and willing to jump into a relationship with you. But when your heart is still reeling from wanting to be with your ex-lover, this can be a very bad decision. Instead of facing the pain, you’re pouring it into a new relationship and settling to boot. Gomez ended up dating The Weeknd for about eight months before she ended up back in Bieber’s arms after a sweet bicycle trip that turned out to be an awesome date idea. As much as you try to forget that person that you’re still in love with, it won’t be easy, and it certainly won’t be fair for the person who’s serving as your rebound.
Related Link: Celebrity News: Has Justin Bieber Moved On from Selena Gomez With Baskin Champion?
5. If at first you don’t succeed, try try again: Throughout Bieber and Gomez’s rocky relationship, it seems that Bieber had tried to win Gomez back many times. From serenading her at a hotel in Beverly Hills, to posting photos complimenting Gomez on his Instagram, he tried and tried again to win her back. After several years of trying, it worked! They got officially back together and even made it Instagram official this month. If there’s anything to learn here it’s that true love never dies and that if there’s someone you know you’re supposed to be with, it makes sense to fight for their love. Bieber did it for Gomez and even though they are on a break right now, true love is always worth fighting for.
Ashton Dixey is a recent graduate of UVU and an avid reader of romance novels. When not spending time with her family, you can find her working on her website, Awesome Date Ideas, and taking writing workshops.